11.08.2010

I'm Co-operative!

Last night I shopped at the East Lansing Food Co-op! I like it, I decided. It was pretty interesting to see where all my food came from and kind of odd to imagine that the chicken was all from a farm here in Michigan. It was almost uncomfortable feeling closer to my food. I hadn't realized how far I had separated the chicken in my freezer from the bird on American farms.

As I shopped, I made a list of my apartment's commonly bought items and their prices. I will show them to my roommates and we will decided what we could buy at the Co-op and what we can't afford to buy there. Milk, for example, was too expensive for the amount we drink. But I appreciated the flour, cornstarch, granola and some pastas that were available in bulk. The vegetable supply was about what I expected. They weren't as pretty and shiny as those you find in Meijer (I picked through the bananas a bit) but there wasn't anything wrong with them. I am just used to my vegetables looking like a piece of plastic.

They also have a nice line of natural cleaning supplies, which I might have to take advantage of when we run out of our current supplies. The people were friendly and the food selection was pretty nice. All in all, I am happy and hope to continue shopping there!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great thing you did and I know that it is not always affordable. The other thing I like about this is that it is a "co-op"; become a member, volunteer and you get lower prices - plus the learning and camaraderie that take place are "priceless". Good example of the influence of "norms" in shaping behavior!

    ReplyDelete