11.14.2010

Apartment composting....in the winter?

We have a garbage disposal in my apartment, which is a new appliance for me. At first, I really enjoyed it. No more throwing food scraps in garbage! I didn't realize that the scraps just went into the waste water for the sanitation plant to clean out and send to the landfill anyway. I had previously brushed off the idea of a composting area while I lived in an apartment, but I am revisiting it again. Apparently there are lots of people who compost while in an apartment:http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/apartment-compost-guide.html

I've done some research and I can either do vermicomposting (as system of turning food waste into potting soil by use of worm) or regular composting, which uses microorganisms.  Neither seem completely feasible in an apartment, especially since we don't have a lot of hidey-holes to stick a stinky bucket of rotting food. I could use our balcony, but I'm not sure how that works in the winter. Apparently, you should not let the compost pile freeze (especially if you have worms!).  They suggest insulating the compost pile, but that doesn't seem feasible on a balcony.

So if I can't compost on the balcony during the winter, here is the question for now: should I wait to start composting until Spring or should I coerce my roommates into letting me compost in the apartment? Opinions?

1 comment:

  1. First of all, it doesn't have to be "stinky". If the composting organisms are doing there thing, there is virtually no smell - or it's more of an earthy smell. I used worms for a long time, but I had space to put the worm boxes in my basement, which had the added advantage of keeping them out of sight of the rest of the house and "insulated" in the winter. I would like to know more about the second method -- with microorganisms as that might work better in a small space. I would start small -- just an experiment to see how it goes (some stuff down the garbage disposal; some in the compost and gradually work your way up to more and more in the compost as the temperatures start to rise and as you become more skillful). No, it should not freeze, but an idea I would try is to find a styrofoam or other type of cooler (don't buy a new one!) and put the compost container in that and put the whole thing on your balcony -- you can close it up on the coldest days and nights and open it when it's sunny or warm -- when the sun is out, how about a sheet of plexiglas or glass to give it a solar boost. It would be great fun to play around with a small solar panel.

    ReplyDelete