10.26.2010

I want an acre

After reading "One Acre" by Joy Williams I have decided it sounds like something I would like to do. Williams bought an acre of land on the edge of the Everglades and just let it grow. She had a house there to live in, but it was a humble house and she made few improvements on it. Eventually, she walled the property in along the road and nature grew wild. From her descriptions, it sounded like a very beautiful place.

It isn't just the beauty that attracts me, it is the idea of creating an area where nature doesn't have to be managed. It can just be. There aren't very many places like that anymore in this world. I understand the reason for that, I really do. I am human and I would like to sustain our population because I believe there are some wonderful things about the population. But as a consequence of population growth, the land around us is affected. Throughout this whole experiment of mine, I have realized, practicality aside, that it saddens me to see so much altered for our civilization.

Protecting just a small area from human change and letting it go through its own natural changes seems like a very nice way of giving back. In a way, it is not actively doing anything, instead it is actively doing nothing except what is necessary. Just as Williams realized, the most important part is making sure it is protected even after I leave it. She searched for the right person to sell it too and I would have to do something similar. I hope I get the chance to facilitate a piece of pure nature.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how "pure" her acre was. She and Thoreau share similar romantic tendencies, but it is a compelling story about those who talk a good line vs. those who actually act out on their beliefs. It is also a story about how persistence pays off. And, it is a story about how anyone can use the legal system (deed restrictions) to protect land from development. You might want to read more that she's written -- I like her style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....as usual, you've given me a lot to think about. Keep up the good work. By the way, sustainability can also be a lifestyle -- comments from you about this next time?

    ReplyDelete