9.27.2010

My daily commute


I have to say, I love my car. Not the strange kind of love that some people have, where they freak out if the body is scratched. I just simply like it. It is the first car I purchased on my own and it is the size of a boat. My 17-year-old Pontiac Bonneville has a nose about 30 feet long and could take on just about any whimpy car you can think of. I named it Maurice, or Mo for short.

Now, I don't drive an awful lot. I am a student after all. Any MSU student who thinks driving on to campus will save them time is either nuts or lives way off campus. But I do drive to work, to the store and to other various after-class activities. Oh, and sometimes I drive to my night class because parking is free and it is dark when the class ends at 9pm. I wouldn't say I am a driving lunatic, but I have to wonder, can I cut down my commuting time?  Google Maps tells me that it will take 30 minutes to bike from my apartment to my office. Now, I have inspected the route and half of it is without bike paths and crosswalks. I am pretty sure I am not a skilled enough biker to battle with SUVs and minivans on Hagadorn Road. So, biking to work is out. Plus, I don't actually have enough time scheduled in between classes and work to make the trek and still have time for lunch and a change of clothes.

But I am going to make a more concentrated effort to bike elsewhere. Despite the fact that is is getting cold out. I can't promise I will bike in the dead of winter. I value my life and limbs too much to risk biking around campus on ice while dodging pedestrians and other bikers. But I will try to bike everywhere feasible, I think. Even my 6pm class (parking is free after 6, so I am guilty of driving into campus for that class ...). I'll have to let you know how this new effort goes!

1 comment:

  1. In a society that values the auto over public transportation and biker friendly designs, this is a challenge all of us face. All of us, you included, need to become advocates (Nash) of bike paths and bike lanes. We simply need more of them. Monies are available. We need to keep pressure on our elected officials.

    PS -- Overall, I think you've done a great job so far with your entries. The number and length are about right. My challenge to you for next time is to start writing about what sustainability means to you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete