12.01.2010

Local Marine Shrimp?

Did you think it would be possible to have fresh, marine shrimp in Michigan? Well I learned a way that I can! I learned in class of a man who is raising his own marine shrimp and selling it in Okemos. This is very exciting in my opinion because I can have shrimp alfredo and not buy it from Meijer, where the shipping and transportation costs alone are enormous! Also these shrimp are not depleting the amount in the oceans. The only questionable thing is the sustainability of aquaculture. I can't think of any major reason aquaculture would have negative effects, other than the energy the indoor recirculating system burns by running. I imagine, though, that those negative effects are outweighed by the positive benefits of mainting shrimp populations in the oceans and eliminating transportation/processing/preserving costs.

I think I'll be making Shrimp Alfredo in the coming weeks. 

Also, I found out about some Co-op gift shops in Old Town, Lansing where I might do some Christmas shopping. They are second-hand, but they are locally made. I much prefer supporting locally made products to mass produced ones. I think it is a suitable alternative option to purchasing second-hand. Don't get me wrong, though, I am going to look at second-hand shops as well.

P.S. Happy Snow!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to try some of your shrimp alfredo! Sounds yummy and, yes, I knew about this place and have purchased their products. Here's a question for you though: why are folks so down on salmon raised this way? Thanks for reminding me of the shrimp farm as well as the shops in Old Town. Buying local or second hand are excellent alternatives. PS -- I love snow but I could do without the wind.

    ReplyDelete